Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fixing the vacuflush

So when we got the boat, the vacuum pump would not shut off.  So I researched the problem, and then  bought 4 duckbill valves to see if that was the problem.  Nope!

So then it was possibly:
1) Leaking at the pump/bellows
2) Leaking at the toilet bowl
3) Faulty vacuum sensor
4) Vacuum leak

I'm told you'd much rather replace an expensive sensor or pump then try and track down a vacuum leak. It didn't seem to be leaking at the bowl, so I figured I'd upgrade the vacuum pump, since the new version is quieter and the conversion includes the bellows.  Rebuilt the pump with the new motor and bellows and fired it up... and it ran... and ran... and ran...

So my buddy Steve attacked the vacuum tank and the next thing we know we've got it apart and found the problem... the gasket in the sensor was pinched and leaking.  Steve says "Do you want to fix it like a cruiser? or go spend $200 on the part?"  So we fixed it like cruisers and I'm thinking to myself, "Man, I really don't want to tear this thing apart again if that didn't work." But sure enough it worked.

So yay, we got a head that works.  Except I left the pump hanging by the hoses.  So time to go button it up, and wouldn't you know it, I guess there's 2 ways to mount the motor, and I mounted it the wrong way.  So take it all back apart again (much faster this time, with the right tools I think I can rebuild one of these in under 2 minutes now) and finally, she's back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment